Friday, September 26, 2014

Spelunking for Answers part 3

photo: Antonio DePietro/ The Great Stalactite, Doolin Cave

Myth #3: Paleolithic humans lived in caves. Again, I think my source of this "common knowledge" comes from The Flintstones. Early mankind did not use these dark, cavernous places for living. We know this for archeologists have been studying the bone remains found in these ancient sites. This is agreed upon unanimously. But the mystery revolves in what were humans doing in these caves then? Most of the paintings in paleolithic caves are not to be found in the outer chambers, close to the light. The artworks are found deep in the inner chambers, sometimes in places where adults need to even crawl to get through. Lit only by torches, these locations would have been only accessible with effort and purpose.  But, what purpose?  Last Spring, my family and I took a vacation to Ireland where we had the chance to go into Doolin Cave and examine one of the world's largest stalactite. I commented on how in America, a 4-year-old equipped only with a wobbly hard hat would legally probably not be able to hike through a slippery dark cave to look at a 25-foot-long crystal. But off we marched, down hundreds of stairs, carefully treading on ladders and catwalks, through a maze of tunnels and damp dungeons. My son and I lagged behind, each step precarious, with his large helmet toppling to the ground a few times. I held tight to his upper arm, not trusting the metal grates and railings overlooking 10 foot drops. Eventually, we caught up with the tour and the guide called to us to make sure we were okay. He warned us that he was about to turn off the lights, and to prepare for the engulfing darkness. With an intake of breath, the flashlights flickered off-- we were left in an oppressive darkness making our eyes strain. I squeezed my son's hand tighter and I thought he may be apprehensive or as nervous as I was, but he seemed calm. Something about the cave had sedated us both- perhaps the carbon monoxide that seeped through. My hands were pools of sweat and I was afraid I'd lose my grip on my son's arm.  "Before I had this job, I wasn't sure if I believed in God. Now I'm sure," the guide pronounced as he switched on the light and we turned around to see the magnificent stalactite; 25 feet of dripping, alive, crystal. The feeling I had was of realizing that aliens have landed on our planet, or rather that some secret of the universe had been revealed. Eliette Brunel, upon discovering the paintings in the caves of Chauvet, was said to have exclaimed, "They have been here!" These secrets transcends language and are understood only at the soul level. It makes sense that these dark caves were used for religious reasons, as there is something very profound in the setting.


No comments:

Post a Comment