Friday, September 19, 2014

Coming Back To The Blog

I can't believe that it has been almost a year since my last post. Despite my passion for art and seeing copious amounts of shows with my son, I have found blogging to be a tad overwhelming to keep up with alongside my other work. I hope all of my readers have kept up with our art journey at Brooklyn Based where I write often about our gallery visits.

I've had to rethink what I want to accomplish with this blog and how to separate it from my other work. The question I ultimately came to, was what is my unique perspective and how best to share it with my readers? I'd love any suggestions on what you'd like to hear about, I'm all ears. I have some great brainstorms for upcoming posts, continuing my family's art path, as well as my personal creative life learning. In the meantime, I'd like to share my week's media (reading and podcast links).

Podcast on Heritage Radio-- Lisa Congdon, author of Art, Inc-- I just found out about this wonderful Inc. series by Chronicle Books which gives practical advice to start your own business in crafts, as a mom, or this one, as an artist.  I'll definitely be ordering a few of these books (Blog, Inc for one!). But today, I enjoyed listening to this podcast with the San Francisco- based artist and author of Art, Inc.

Creative Block by Danielle Krysa-- This book is by one of my favorite art bloggers, Danielle Krysa aka The Jealous Curator. I found it in the Whitney bookstore, after visiting the Jeff Koons show this summer. Although I'm only a few projects in, I can already tell that this book is potentially life changing. It's like a project based graduate school in a book, with over 50 cool projects suggested by the coolest artists. I'll be posting more about this in the future, and will be documenting part of my own creative process. I'm just seeing that this is also published by Chronicle, so obviously I need to explore their website for more great discoveries.

Art History Course on Khan Academy- If you are a big nerd like me, you will LOVE this free course in art history at Khan Academy. I hope this is just the beginning of their curriculum, because I would love to even dive deeper. The format with some reading, and lots of videos, makes the learning fun-- and very different than sitting in a dark room looking at slides (which is what my college art history experience was.)




No comments:

Post a Comment